In view of the spread of the new Coronavirus Covid-19, CIGRE is issuing the following guidelines, which will also be posted on the CIGRE website and regularly reviewed and revised based on recommendations from WHO and the French government.
1. Current situation of the Covid-19 in France and Europe
• Since March 17th, France, like many other countries, has installed strict rules to limit the spread of the Covid-19, resulting in the confinement of a large part of the population at home.
• Since that date the Central Office of CIGRE and its contractors, have been organised to allow their staff to telecommute, and work from home, in order to continue to provide services to CIGRE members, delegates and governing bodies.
• Two of the CIGRE governing bodies, i.e. the Steering Committee and Technical Council, have changed their annual physical meetings planned in April in Greece, and May in Switzerland, into videoconferences, keeping the same dates.
2. Provisional decisions of CIGRE regarding the 2020 Session
• Cancellation of the 2020 session, currently scheduled for 22-28 August, is not an option. However, the governing bodies of CIGRE are currently examining the postponement of the session, as well as the consequences of such an eventuality.
• In accordance with the Statutes of the association, the Administrative Council of CIGRE was called upon to vote on the postponement of the 2020 session. The result of this consultation will be published in a press release on 16 April.
• Should the 2020 Session be postponed, the availability of the venue on a full week is guaranteed under the same terms and conditions (location, rates, period...).